Thursday, 29 March 2012

Keep Calm and 3araby

The Keep Calm and Carry On posters took off a while ago. And by 'while ago' I don't mean when Tumblr - a haven for procrastinating teens to reblog vintage/hip photos with corny quotes attached to them - started.

My mate Wikipedia explains it well:
Keep Calm and Carry On was a propaganda poster produced by the British government in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of invasion.
Arabified (I coined the term, but after Googling it, it turns out I'm not as innovative as I thought) Keep Calm posters from Keep Calm and Tabbouleh are wicked. They're nothing flashy - Keep Calm and *insert something Arab*, but I love the fact that there's an Arab twist on the war propaganda of a colonial power, which has now become a pop culture icon sensation.

Don't judge me, but I had the original Keep Calm and Carry On poster in my room for a while. It was huge. I took it down a few months ago because the bright red, while my favourite colour, wasn't keeping me calm. It made me fidgety. Not a good combo with my active mind and coffee addiction.

The Levant's famous parsley salad.

Keep Calm and Welcome.

The greatest ring dance.

I like mint flavoured tobacco.

Oum Kulthoum - a classic. Considered to be the greatest Arab female singer of all time.

This sitcom that...nobody can explain. 

Black, white, checkered. A strong symbol of Palestinian culture and resistance.

An Arab's heart is really a beating falafel patty.

Al Jazeera English, especially. As a student of journalism, I advise that you Keep Calm and Read News From a Variety of Sources.

This needs no explanation. 

Date biscuits, aw yeah.

Go for a drive.

Ululate. Lelelelelelelelele-ee.

The other salad. I talk about it here.

1 comments:

perfectly.imperfect said...

LOL I love fattoush. What I like about people from bilad ash sham is that they're less conservative and much more fun than... mathalan khaleejis or yemeni's etc. I found these quite funny because I thought of my shami friends but If I saw these keep calm's in like some gulf persons perspective etc... I'd be sitting there like "no. stop. just stop."

Post a Comment